Our Story

How it all started...

Mount Pisgah Baptist Church was constituted as the church of Yates Meeting House on August 26, 1814.  In 1818 the name was changed to Mount Pisgah.  The church has occupied four buildings; the present sanctuary was erected in 1951 under the pastorate of C. E. Byrd.

There were 15 male and 21 female charter members of the church.  These members were very much concerned with church unity and discipline, as shown by the peace, fellowship and union in the church.

In 1850 a Sunday School was established.  During its early days, the church only met one Sunday a month, but in 1882 the church decided to meet twice a month.  The church was very evangelistic, as was demonstrated by large numbers of people being baptized.  In 1857 the church had a membership of 297.

Many men from this church have been called into the ministry; the best known being Matthew T. Yates, North Carolina's Pioneer Missionary to China.  Many others from here, have been called to places of service and ministry throughout the body of Christ over the years.

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 10:00am!